Monday, November 12, 2012

The Perks of Watching The Perks of Being a Wallflower


So I have just recently watched the movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower. And my overall opinion of it is that it was pretty darn good!

A bit of background concerning myself and the movie: The movie is an adaptation from a book by the same name. I read it a while back, like 2007 or something and I have to admit, I didn't enjoy it back then. It's a more character-driven book and I mainly enjoy plot-driven books. It was a Slice of Life kind of book where nothing extremely exciting happened and the ending isn't really a resolution.

Side Note: The description that it's a "Slice of Life" kind of book was used by said friend's dad and I think it's just the most accurate thing on earth. I was silently having a moment of respect for how perfectly it fits this kind of book all the while carrying on normal conversation like a normal human being. You've got to be impressed by that. It takes a certain skill to be able to do that so gracefully.

Back to the present. It was really the casting that drew me to the movie. Logan Lerman has been a long favourite actor of mine since he's very good at it and doesn't hurt to look at. In the slightest. And then I was excited to see Emma Watson in something other than Harry Potter plus I also enjoyed her new haircut. And I have never seen a movie involving Ezra Miller but I have heard really good things about him. That was pretty much my reasoning plus my friend really wanted me to come see it with her so I obliged.



Stephen Chbosky is the author of the book and he also directed and wrote the screenplay for the movie. This was extremely evident because it stayed so true to the plot that even I remembered certain scenes from the book and I hadn't so much as thought of the book since I read it way back as a youngster. (Because the difference between youngster and not-youngster is 5 years. Write that down, it'll be on the test.) 

I have to say that I really enjoyed the movie. Maybe only because it was a movie and it keeps you visually entertained plus you don't have to go through the effort of reading the words in the book. (Not that I think it sucks; it's just mentally easier to watch a movie.) But I think it did a pretty good job of bringing the book to life. Can I say that Logan played the perfect Charlie. His voice, his mannerisms were so ideal it was scary. I'm pretty sure a lot of the deep stuff went right over my head but I really liked the vibe the movie gave me. It covered a lot of stuff kids go through in high school so it could reach people in certain things like that and it also was extremely funny at parts. So yeah, I enjoyed it.
If you haven't noticed, I'm pretty all over the place in reviews. All you need to know is that this one is a positive one and you should go see it.

Side Note: The one thing that bugged me was that Charlie did not look like a niner (this is what I call grade 9's) at all. He was taller than Sam and it looked like he could sprout a full beard at any second.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...